Thursday, October 31, 2013

That time I was the weirdo who asked for “Quinoa”

A few months back, I read Kaitlyn’s post where she had made Quinoa Pizza Bites.  I am a big fan of quinoa, but knew it may not be Brandon’s cup of tea.  I decided I would pick a day he was working late and I had the kitchen all to myself to try these yummy treats.

I stopped by the grocery store on the way home to grab the ingredients I would need.  I had almost everything in my basket when I went searching for the main ingredient, quinoa.  I scoured the isles to find the rice section.  I am new to this rural area, and was a little worried when I didn’t see my normal brand, or any brand of quinoa for that matter.  There was a helpful guy behind me stacking shelves, but it turned out it was his first week and he wasn’t quite sure where it was, or what it was for that matter.

We then walked the store asking every cashier/stocker for where the “quinoa” was.  I have never seen more blank looks in my life!  I felt so awkward as each one had me repeat the name numerous times, which I, of course, repeated louder each time.  Maybe they were hard of hearing.

(this is when the commercial for Bud Light popped in my head where the guy is cooking quinoa burgers at the tailgate so his team will win… have you seen it?, it’s pretty funny!)

I took another stroll down the market in the boonies, feeling like the weirdo these people now think I am, and luckily found the sad little box of quinoa tucked behind the rice, just where I thought.
 

Finally, I was headed home to try my new treat made with the ever illusive “keeenn-waah”.

The Recipe:

Ingredients –
-          ½ cup uncooked quinoa
-          1 egg
-          ½ cup shredded mozzarella
-          ½ cup chopped onion
-          ¼ cup diced bell peppers
-          1 teaspoon minced garlic
-          1 teaspoon diced oregano
-          1 tablespoon dried basil
-          Dash of salt
 
Directions –
1.       Preheat oven to 350 degrees

2.       Combine quinoa with one cup of water and bring to a boil.  Once oiling, reduce heat and let simmer for 15 – 20 minutes (or until the quinoa is tender and has absorbed most of the water).

3.       Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl, stirring until well mixed.

4.       Spray a muffin pan with cooking spray and using a spoon, divide mixture evenly among muffin tins.

5.       Cook at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden on top.
 


{Recipe used was found on southerncurlsandpearls.blogspot.com}

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment