Thursday, February 14, 2013

Saw it. Pinned it. Did it._lego board

Happy Thursday and a very Happy Valentine's Day!!

I have been waiting for the Saw it, Pinned it, Did it link up this week to share the birthday present Brandon and I made for my nephew's 2nd birthday this past weekend!




This was time number 2 making this project.  We had made it for my older nephew for his birthday back in September and apparently was a hit, and my brother-in-law asked if we would make it when Jack Jack's birthday rolled around.  For Jack we used the dublo lego blocks instead of the smaller lego pieces.

{I have to admit I did an awful job of getting photos while we were making this, but it was pretty simple!}

For the Lego Board project you will need:
1 x 2 plywood cut to 2 pieces at 15" and 2 pieces at 16.5" (this is what the directions called for, I think next time I would make the board just a bit bigger)
1/2" plywood sheet at 15"x15" (again here I would make this a 1/4 inch bigger on each side)
15" x 15" lego board (I got the lego board at toys-r-us and the dublo lego board from amazon)
screws
gorilla glue
sandpaper
spray paint
self-stick floor care pads 
2 drawer handles

I bought a long 1 x 2 board and had Brandon cut it to the measurements needed (the first time I made it the friendly staff at Lowe's cut it for me!  So if you don't have power saws, it won't stop you)
He also cut the 1/2" plywood board to the measurements needed

Then we lined the 1 x 2 plywood boards and screwed them into the side of the plywood sheet (we skewed from the project on this step, but it worked out fine)

After the sides were drilled in tight I sanded the edges and bottom smooth.  Then spray painted the bottom and sides (don't need to worry to much about the top base since the lego board will be covering it.)

Next use the gorilla glue to secure the 15" x 15" lego board to the top base of the board

Now here is the first picture I took...

the dublo lego board glued onto the wooden base

Then attach the handle bars to two opposite sides of the board (both times mine have been uneven... next time, I will use a ruler)

Last, but not least, paste the self-stick flood care pads onto the bottom of the board to keep it from scratching hardwood floors and table tops.

I used some ribbon to attach the bin of dublo legos to the top to complete the gift

The gift was a hit again!
the birthday boy playing with the new toy!
The boys love their lego boards.  They can play with their legos in the living room and pick-up and take their big structures into the playroom. (also great for a quick grab when the dogs start to get that "wonder how those blocks taste" look in their eye) Gabriel even slides his lego board under the couch in his playroom for safe keeping.



This was such a fun project to make (well supervise Brandon making)!  I wish I had taken more pictures... but if you have any questions, just let me know!

What are you linking up with Katie {keep calm and carry on} and Stephanie {beautiful mess} to show?!

3 comments:

  1. This is such a good idea! My younger brother would've loved to have this growing up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute gift idea! I will need one for my son next year! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea and I'm sure they are going to have tons of fun with it.

    ReplyDelete